"Be a Teacher" Intern Program
The “Be A Teacher” Intern Program is an alternate pathway to earning a Preliminary Teaching Credential. In our two-year state accredited Intern program, Interns are employed as teachers during the day and attend credential classes approximately two days a week while receiving ongoing support from an on-site Mentor, course Instructors, and Practicum Supervisors.
The "Be a Teacher" Intern Program is currently offering preliminary teaching credential programs for the following credential types:
- Education Specialist: Mild/Moderate or Extensive Support Needs
- Multiple Subject
- Single Subject: Math, Science or World Languages
Intern Credential Requirements
- Complete the 150-hour Framework for Teaching Pre-service Program
The pre-service coursework is offered through NCSOE. The 150 hours consists of six modules and two independent study courses.
To inquire about waiving the framework pre-service coursework based on an active preliminary or clear teaching credential, please contact Yesenia Rivas-Suarez, Registrar/Advisor, at email@example.com.
- Successfully pass the CSET Exam (California Subject Examination for Teachers) that corresponds to the credential you are pursuing (verification required).
- Complete the U.S. Constitution requirements – exam or university course (official transcripts required).
- Provide verification of Certificate of Clearance from Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) (fingerprinting, etc.).
- Provide verification of offer of employment as “Teacher of Record” from a partnering public district or school.
Always use the same email address for each of the following NCSOE accounts:
- NCSOE program enrollment (online enrollment form)
- NCSOE/SCOE account (class registration for live synchronous classes)
- Canvas account (online asynchronous coursework and where you track program progress/completion)
NCSOE sends program communications through MailChimp and Canvas. To make sure you receive these important messages, we strongly recommend that you add the following emails to your Contacts:
- firstname.lastname@example.org - eNews (Mailchimp)
- email@example.com - Course Notifications (Canvas)
Enrollment Steps for New and Returning Mentors:
- Enroll in NCSOE: As soon as you have been assigned to a mentee, complete the Mentor Enrollment Form. All Mentors, even if returning from a previous year, must complete the enrollment form each year. Only complete the Enrollment form once each year, even if you are mentoring more than one mentee in more than one NCSOE program. If you receive an additional mentee assignment after having completed the enrollment form, please contact your Program Coordinator so we can update our records.
- Complete The Launch Canvas Course: This online welcome Canvas course is updated each year and is required for both new and returning Mentors. The Launch provides important program information, updates and next steps.
- Attend a Program Orientation: Register for and attend an Intern Support and Supervision Orientation.
- Begin meeting the Mentor Academy Requirements: Register for classes here.
- New NCSOE Mentors: Register for and attend at least one required Mentor Academy (MAC 301, 302 or 303) during the first semester. New Mentors are required to attend all three academies by the end of the program year.
- Returning Mentors: Register for and attend one of the following Mentor Academies during the first semester: MAC304, 305 or 306. By the end of the program year, you will need to have attended two additional Mentor Academies or professional opportunities of your choice. (If you did not attend MAC 301-303, you will be required to do this first).
Quick Links and Related Documents
- "Be A Teacher" Intern Program Early Completion Option 2022-23
- "Be a Teacher" Intern Program Handbook (2022-24 Cohort)
- "Be a Teacher" Intern Program Handbook (2021-23 Cohort)
- Community First Loan Program
- CTC Early Completion Intern Option Leaflet (CL-840)
- CTC Step-by-Step Guide for Account Access
- NCSOE Grievance and Appeals Policy 2022-23
- Request for Mentor Reassignment 2022-23