Watch "Be A Teacher" - Pre-service Class in Action
The “Be A Teacher” Intern Program is an alternate pathway to earning a Preliminary Teaching Credential. NCSOE is committed to cultivating and supporting effective educators and lifelong learners for California's students. In order to ensure that NCSOE exits the high-quality professionals from their programs, NCSOE incorporates a continuous improvement cycle to support candidate learning and as a tool for assessment, evaluation, and implementation of their programs. In our two-year state accredited intern program, interns are employed as teachers during the day and attend credential classes approximately two days a week on evenings or weekends while receiving ongoing coaching from an on-site mentor, course instructors, and practicum supervisors.
"Be a Teacher" Program Process
Step 1. To be eligible to enroll in the “Be A Teacher” program, you must first meet the required prerequisites.
- Hold a Bachelor’s or higher degree (official transcripts required)
- Successfully pass the CBEST Exam (California Basic Educational Skills Test) (verification required)
- Successfully pass the CSET Exam (California Subject Exam for Teachers) (recommended)
- Attend an Information Meeting – Register here
- Attend an Advisement Meeting to determine eligibility and develop an action plan
Step 2. After you have been accepted into the “Be A Teacher” program, you will need to:
- Create an NCSOE database account (by invitation only)
- Register for your pre-service courses
- Begin meeting specific Intern Credential requirements
- Complete the 150-hour Framework for Teaching Pre-service Program
The pre-service coursework is offered through NCSOE. The 150 hours consists of six modules and two independent study courses.
To inquire about waiving the framework pre-service coursework based on an active preliminary or clear teaching credential, please contact Yesenia Rivas-Suarez, Registrar/Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Successfully pass the CSET Exam (California Subject Examination for Teachers) that corresponds to the credential you are pursuing (verification required).
- Complete the U.S. Constitution requirements - exam or university course (official transcripts required).
- Provide verification of Certificate of Clearance from Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) (fingerprinting, etc.).
- Provide verification of offer of employment as “Teacher of Record” from a partnering public district or school.
Step 3. After all credential requirements are met, NCSOE will submit to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) a Recommendation for your Intern Credential.
Step 4. Receive “Be A Teacher” Coursework Advisement and official enrollment into the program.
You will now begin attending the Intern Program courses where you will receive ongoing coaching from an on-site mentor, course instructors, and practicum supervisors.
Step 5. Upon successful completion of the “Be A Teacher” Intern Program, NCSOE will submit to CTC a Recommendation for your Preliminary Teaching Credential.