Career Technical Education Credential
Designated Subjects Career Technical Education (CTE) credentialed teachers support elementary, middle and high school students in meeting high academic standards and the essential knowledge and transferable skills to match rapidly shifting workplace requirements. According to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), this credential:
...authorizes the holder to teach in the subject or subjects named on the credential in grades twelve and below and in classes organized primarily for adults, in career technical instruction courses.
To become a CTE teacher, candidates must first earn the five-year Preliminary Designated Subjects CTE Credential, available through the North Coast School of Education's Regional Office.
In order to clear the Preliminary Credential, CTE teachers participate in NCSOE's Designated Subjects Program. Each teaching credential has a unique set of standards that must be met in order to obtain the California Clear Credential. Upon completion of NCSOE's Designated Subjects Program and all credential requirements, CTE teachers are eligible to apply for their Clear Credential.
To apply for a Preliminary Designated Subjects CTE credential, you will need to submit a complete application to your county office of education's Credential Analyst. For more information about enrolling in our program, please contact our office at (707) 524-2818.
All application materials are submitted to NCSOE for recommendation to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
- CTE Preliminary Application Checklist
- CTE Clear Application Checklist
Quick Links and Related Documents
- CDE webpage on CTE
- CTC’s Application for Credential 41-4
- CTC’s Application for Credential 41-4 Instructions
- CTC’s Designated Subjects CTE Teaching Credential Leaflet CL-888
- CTC’s CTE webpage
- CTC Step-by-Step Guide for Account Access
- Designated Subjects Program Handbook 2018-19
- Fee for Service Flyer 2019-20
- U.S. Constitution Exam
- Verification of Experience Form
- Verification of Self-Employment Form